Eternal
Information
summer, year 3
Thick ice and continuously falling snow blanket the entirety of Eternal, brought upon by Noc's wrath. Shelter is scarce, and food even scarcer. There is no climate or biome that was lucky enough to find themselves safe from the beginnings of the Ice Age and so the residents of Eternal must don their primal survival instincts and to just that ─ survive. Ice blockages have grown supernaturally between the islands, blocking Sunsteppe from Sol and Eventide from Noc, effectively trapping each islander on whichever island they currently stand. The Dragonfrost and dusk leopards from Gleamleaf and greater boreus deer from Mountainfade have seeped into all of Noc, Eventide's spectors and Sunsteppe's sculptors have overrun the central island, and the wolves, Ice Piskys, and Creeping Thistle have invaded all of Sol.
OOC announcements
10.12.18 Noc has descended from the stars, and the reunion with his children, the three deities, is anything but happy. The whole of Eternal has been plunged into an Ice Age, and it seems that, for now, it's up to the deities to restore the islands. Will they be able to do so quickly enough? Or will the residents of Eternal know suffering because of the mishaps spread between Helios, Imbris, and Aya? For now, ice blockages have been erected between the islands, meaning that everyone is stuck where they currently are. Where is your character? Tell us here.

10.4.18 What?! An October raffle?!?!

9.22.18 Be sure to check out our gorgeous new map, complete with clickable links to your favorite territories!

8.4.18 Welcome to Winter, as Year 2 draws to a close! OTY Nominations will be up in a day or two ─ while we wait, please check out the Movie Night survey that was linked in our Discord!

7.28.18: Congratulations to the newest members of our team, our moderators Berb and Witty! Thank you so much to everyone who applied - we appreciate every single one of you.

7.24.18: The staff of Eternal are looking for their first MODERATOR! If you'd like to become a part of our team, click here to apply!

7.14.18 Round Two of the To Lands of Old Quest has been posted! Participants have until 11:59PM EST on July 28 to complete their rapid-fire old school battle posts. The information thread can be found >here!

7.1.18 Round One of the To Lands of Old quest can be found right here! Participants have until the night of the 8th to respond!

7.1.18: Welcome to version two: The Wreckage! Aya, Helios and Imbris have all created a beautiful sanctuary in which the characters we all know and love can come by to pay their respects, to place offerings, and seek counsel with the elusive deities. Furthermore, the database has been updated to reflect each level of an ability, the profiles have been given a complete overhaul, and our new layout is more streamlined than ever!

IC announcements
10.12.18 Noc has descended from the stars, and the reunion with his children, the three deities, is anything but happy. The whole of Eternal has been plunged into an Ice Age, and it seems that, for now, it's up to the deities to restore the islands. Will they be able to do so quickly enough? Or will the residents of Eternal know suffering because of the mishaps spread between Helios, Imbris, and Aya? For now, ice blockages have been erected between the islands, meaning that everyone is stuck where they currently are. Where is your character? Tell us here.

10.4.18 Whatever unknown thing that invaded the southern territories in the middle of spring has snaked its icy fingers out and enveloped those remaining territories that everyone had believed (or hoped) to be safe. Wolves, Creeping Thistle, Pesky Piskys, Blackrock's river... Not even Sunsteppe is safe from the intrusion, though it appears -- at least for now -- that the Wreckage remains untouched. Perhaps it should be investigated?

9.17.18 Something isn't right. Eternal still refuses to warm, even as we progress through spring and near summer. The southernmost territories have begun to notice some changes: from Greater Boreus Deer in Mountainfade, to Dragonfrost in Gleamleaf; frozen sandstorms in Astraldune, and even icy wraiths in Eventide. What happened? And what can be done to return the islands to normal?

9.2.18 Springtime has come, but the frigid winter still remains, enveloping the three islands in ice, snow and brutal wind. There are no flowers, nor grass - no foliage at all. The animals are beginning to suffer, as they emerge from hibernation or birth their young, struggling to find sustenance. The air is thick with tension, as a wretched and unforgiving storm brews still in the distance - will Eternal find reprieve from the cold?

8.4.18 Round Three of the To Lands of Old quest has been posted! The remaining participants have one week to get their posts in. Good luck and have fun!

7.27.18 Astraldune is under new leadership! In the wake of Solomon's disappearance, Helios has placed Gryffen into leadership!

6.26.18 Helios has appeared in Sunsteppe! What could he be doing there?

6.19.18 With magic from Imbris, Totem has been gifted with a daughter of her own, molded from clay and infused with a piece of her own soul. Make sure to check out the thread here!

6.1.18: Welcome to Summer!

5.26.18: The Grotto has been unveiled! Imbris paid a visit to Nymphetamine in Prismacove and led him on an underwater adventure to the Grotto, effectively creating a new sub-board for the residents of Prismacove to explore!

Character of the Year:
LELL
Couple of the Year:
HADERUS & GYPSY
Thread of the Year:
ASTRALDUNE TAKEOVER
Merily We Fall Out of Line [Kjartan, private]

39 Posts
8 Threads
SPECIES:
Equine
ORIENTATION:
Heterosexual
DOMICILE:
Gleamleaf
ABILITIES:
Ice Transmutation
[T2 - Intermediate]
Periodic Morphing
[T3]
PLAYED BY:
Pride

Vessel and Grimdark had spoken privately, mending the fissures between them created over the past hours (or more so weeks). During that time he told her about Kjartan’s role in Gleamleaf, and now that he has relented to her traveling to Eventide, she could take care of the other piece of business she recently decided was of great importance. She had watched the grey stallion slip into the woods after the meeting, smelling the newness of him and curious as to how he came to be so important here. It wasn’t that she didn’t trust Grim’s decision to promote the new stallion, but she wished to emphasize> the importance his job was to her.

Vessel slipped into the jungle from the clearing, her night vision a great asset in the icy haze that snuffed out the glowing lights of her home. It was odd for it to be so truly dark here, given the constant glow she had grown accustomed to. Her black hooves picked carefully through the forest her to toned body slinking through the trees with a learned grace. She would only go so far, not willing to risk the wrong predatory beast find her… Grim would lose his mind if she found danger again so quickly. She smelled the air, remembering the new scent of the stallion she sought out, and caught it on the wind, her head shifted in that direction and she slipped a little deeper into the jungle in pursuit of her intended audience. Minutes passed the scent was stronger now, She was getting closer to him and so she called out to him, her voice firm and commanding, though her tone was elegant--feminine. ”Kjartan. I know you are here somewhere, I require your presence.”

In the darkness, she should be concerned demanding the attention of someone she didn’t know. But Vessel lacked any trepidation, her amethyst eyes slowly scanning the blackness. She was bathed in Grim’s scent, the salty brine of the barnacled stallion was all over her, embedded deep in her coat, and tangled mane. That plus the rounded curve of her belly that spoke of the life within her. She held no worry the Kjartan would take hasty action… no matter how he cared for being summoned. Surely she would like the stallion as a member of the territory, but this was business, and she was here in her more...official capacity. It was time the keeper of the Krakens Body and Heart held council. 

Vessel

look me in the heart

@sparkie... priavate so grey can throw Grim in  >Smile hahha

50 Posts
11 Threads
SPECIES:
Equine
ORIENTATION:
heterosexual
DOMICILE:
Gleamleaf
ABILITIES:
Leopard Shifting
[T2 - Intermediate]
PLAYED BY:
Sparkie
The leopard laid silently in the dark jungle canopy, scintillant blue eyes always watching. His breathing was slow and steady, barely audible even if you stood right beside him. He was a predator made protector in these strange times. This was his job now. This jungle was only open to him as long as he had sworn to protect its residents. It was still a precarious position that Kjartan found himself in, but for the moment it seemed to work. It was a role that fit the viking stallion. It kept him focused on a task instead of letting his mind wander to some self-involved pity party. And so here he laid, muscles taut and ready for anything this strange new land had to throw at them.

He smelled her before he heard her. The scent of herself mixed with Grim’s own scent wafted past his predator nose, focusing his attention on the jungle floor. His tail hangs from the tree limb, twitching slightly as her voice breaks the silence between them. A single brow is raised at her tone, his head tilting at her words. She required his presence, did she? Well, who was he to refuse?

The leopard jumps down from his perch, landing not too far in front of her with a muted thud. Eyeing her for a moment he stretches, arms extending and claws digging into the icy earth beneath them. He dips his head at her, a faint smile painted on his feline lips before he takes a few steps towards her, shifting back into his silver equine frame. Blue eyes meet her violet ones, unwavering as he comes to a stop just before her.

He didn’t know what to call her. He still wasn’t exactly sure how the roles worked here in the jungle. Was she his queen? Was she a consort? Was she just someone he should avoid pissing off at all costs? Part of him felt like it was a little of it all rolled into one. The roundness of her belly only seemed to confirm all of it. You did not mess with a pregnant mare, especially when the sire of her unborn baby could and probably would drag you out to sea and drown you.

“It’s dangerous in this jungle now. What can I do for you?” He asks, ears flicking forward to give her his utmost attention. He was essentially at her service, when he had sworn to protect the land he had also sworn to protect its residents and he knows this resident is of the utmost importance.

kjartan
See the dawn come and the dusk hang
See the power rise from an open hand.

@ Vessel

39 Posts
8 Threads
SPECIES:
Equine
ORIENTATION:
Heterosexual
DOMICILE:
Gleamleaf
ABILITIES:
Ice Transmutation
[T2 - Intermediate]
Periodic Morphing
[T3]
PLAYED BY:
Pride

The grey stallion didn’t make the two-toned mare wait for long. His feline form landing before her with a soft thud, his shoulders absorbing the brunt of the force. When he leveled with off, he eyed her with a mixture of concern and caution. Vessel knew they didn’t know each other outside of the meeting, and it wasn’t like she had made a habit of being with Grim every moment. In fact, it was quite the opposite, they spent much of the time apart, she preferred the quiet of the river delta, and he went off being king (or whatever other trouble he found). And now with the trouble around them, she needed to ensure that wherever he was off to that he would come home. Kjartan took no time in getting to the point, and she found herself pleased by this.

A smile crossed her lips, and she nodded in agreement, the jungle was a precarious place to be, and she was not nearly as equipped as others, but that was neither here nor there. She would fight as fiercely as any to protect the life she nurtured. When he finished she nodded and also got to the point, knowing she had somewhere else to be. ”We haven’t properly met, but I am Vessel. It is my understanding that you are, more or less, Grimdark’s bodyguard, the protector of the jungle...or whatever.” She paused then weighing his reaction, she was nonchalant about whatever title he wished to go by but she was still quite serious about his task. ”If you guard his body… then you guard my heart.” She bored into his soul with her eyes, the full weight of her silent vigil she kept for the Kraken pressed against to him through a single look. ”I need to know that you will return him to me as close to whole as possible. I need you to do your job.” Vessel ended with a snort, almost angry at simply the suggestion that Grim would not make it home. (Her words slung at the silver roan beast, “You are not a guarantee… you could be taken from me.” echoing in her mind.)

The blood bay and white mare looked away finally, feeling exposed in her demand. She softened and looked back to the feline before her. She waited quietly for him to take in all she said. In the distances she heard the cats, they were nearing, and soon they would have to flee this space or fight. Her black tipped ears flicked back to the sound in the distance… the threat wasn’t immediate, but it was looming. Cats or no cats, Vessel wasn’t leaving until she had his word.

Vessel

look me in the heart

50 Posts
11 Threads
SPECIES:
Equine
ORIENTATION:
heterosexual
DOMICILE:
Gleamleaf
ABILITIES:
Leopard Shifting
[T2 - Intermediate]
PLAYED BY:
Sparkie
Kjartan takes their brief moments of silence as an opportunity to view the mare. She was beautiful, there probably wasn’t a stallion alive that would deny that. Her violet eyes were almost mesmerizing, and he could see why Grimdark choose to keep her so close. For Kjartan though the beauty just made his heart and head feel heavy. It made him long for something he would rather die than admit to. It made him long for a face he knew he would be better off forgetting. However, now wasn’t the time to wallow in these feelings and so the silver stallion pushes them deep down again, focusing on Vessel.

He couldn’t help but chuckle as she listed a few different titles that might belong to him. “We’ll stick with the whatever one.” He offered, knowing it didn’t really matter to either of them what he was called. It only mattered how effective he was, how useful he could be. That was the way of things and Kjartan didn’t mind it one bit. The smallest, faintest, smile pulled at one corner of his ashen lips. All he could think was that the Kraken surely was lucky to have a mare speak of him this way. She had been brave enough to go into the dark jungle and seek out a beast that could have easily turned out to be a blood thirsty traitor for what? To tell him to guard her love with all his might? That was something special and even Kjartan’s stoney heart was warmed at the thought.

Even with the fierceness of Vessel’s sincerity the leopard stallion still offered up a small breath of a laugh. “My lady Vessel. You have no reason to trust me, though I hope in time you will. I will say though, I haven’t counted all of his tentacles but I promise to try my hardest to return him to you with all of them still intact, for as long as I can.” He dips his head as if saying he is at her command. In many ways he is. “And if I can ask a favor from you...” He tilts his head just slightly, eyeing the roundness of her belly for a moment. “You probably know better than I do that Grimdark is going to try and protect you at all cost which means in turn I will protect you at all costs. I don’t mind that at all. But please, don’t make it harder on me?” It seemed Grim had a knack for housing mares with spirit, the kind that would run head first in an outnumbered battle if they thought it would save their stallion or their home. “Or at least warn me before you do something crazy.” He hoped she would take his words for what they were, a jest covering a slight sliver of truth. As seriously as Kjartan took his job, he didn’t want to spend every waking moment peeling jaguars from the others.

kjartan

@ Vessel

39 Posts
8 Threads
SPECIES:
Equine
ORIENTATION:
Heterosexual
DOMICILE:
Gleamleaf
ABILITIES:
Ice Transmutation
[T2 - Intermediate]
Periodic Morphing
[T3]
PLAYED BY:
Pride

In the darkness they sized each other up, harmless, and innocent. They gauged the other to see if the other was true, or competent, or any other number of things that matter in these type of dealings. To this point Vessel had masked her annoyance and general sour mood. Sure she had been frank and not overly friendly, but she had held her tongue. That was until she caught him eyeing her, eyes resting on her belly before darting, respectfully, back to her face. Then he went on with the “my lady-s” and the general “you shouldn’t be out here all alone in the big bad jungle” bit and Vessel's amethyst eyes rolled fully. She cocked her hip and let her hoof rest poignantly on the icy jungle floor. She thought about letting it rain icicles at him out or sheer annoyance, but that might be too much for a new acquaintance. Instead, she simply interjected at his first breath. Stopping his words with her own. Her face was blank, it wasn’t delighted in the facts that she spoke or saddened, it was a plain and simple truth. And the fact it wasn’t a lofty threat made it all the more ominous. ”I don’t need to trust you. Grimdark would have you underwater faster than you could blink...should you choose to act carelessly. But thank you for your efforts all the same.” She stared at him, waiting for him to move on, say something, and his little feline whiskers twitching with the weight of her words as gathered his composure and thoughts to finish his request with his proper ways.

Vessel shifted her weight to the other side, annoyed with Grimdark, and the general feeling that everyone was treating her with kid gloves. She was pregnant, not incompetent. And sure the grey stallion turned feline was just being proper, but she found it was like salt in a wound and she wanted to grimace and gnash her teeth at the problem. Kjartan wasn’t the problem, but he was connected to it, Grim had seen to that. ”And you will not leave the Ford without a guardian. Myself, or Kjartan.” The sound of his voice and the command in his eyes still vivid behind her eyes. And it made her nostrils flare at the remembered nerve of the man she loved even though he asked so much of her. Now the little kitty cat mewed at her for a favor, which felt like another promise, another piece of herself, her freedoms, her life given over to some man who wanted to see her safe or simply control her and she was over it all. The two-toned mare straightened to her full height, and considered him then, knowing it wasn’t fully his fault she was so sour, but still not fully caring. He was still a part of her confinement, whether he knew it or not. Vessel held him in wait, as she decided how much she wished to hold him responsible for her, for her mood, for Grim. And she decided to let up but only slightly, besides, all males could be assholes, and surely he owed some mare somewhere some penance. I make no promises, however, I’m literally about to leave for Eventide, and I’m on explicit orders from the squid to not leave the Ford without you or him...and I’m definitely not going with that bundle of infuriating tentacles. So….” She again was matter of fact and flat, her words unemotional, and unwavering.

She watched Kjar try to process the 180 she had done, and what it all meant. Vessel, while soft, and caring, a safe harbor in a storm, was also fierce and unyielding the sea itself when pushed to be. Vessel grew impatient and decided to clarify for him, as she still held a look that was either confusion or disbelief. ”Look, Kjartan, Grim is complicated but a good man, and I care for him. I wish him no harm. But, that being said, I wouldn’t mind if you accidentally caught him with a claw or two because he can be more oblivious than a damned sea cucumber. She exhaled sharply, her eyes taking on an apologetic look, but her voice still didn’t offer one. She turned to go, taking a few steps before stopping again. ”I wasn’t kidding, I’m going, and if you don’t come well I guess I’m going by myself, and you can talk to Grimdark about that because I’m not.” With that she took of down the trail, not waiting for the feline form to respond or protest, he could wait and lose her in the darkness, stay an deal with Grimdark’s anger, or hop too and catch up. Either way, she had done her due diligence and the rest was on the man the Grim had commanded her babysitter to deal with. Vessel was off to Eventide, and to clear her head.

Vessel

look me in the heart

50 Posts
11 Threads
SPECIES:
Equine
ORIENTATION:
heterosexual
DOMICILE:
Gleamleaf
ABILITIES:
Leopard Shifting
[T2 - Intermediate]
PLAYED BY:
Sparkie
Damn. Grimdark sure seemed to attract the strong personalities, didn’t he? Kjartan’s brow raised and fell quickly as Vessel’s words filled the space between them. Part of him wanted to smile, part of him wanted to turn and walk away and tell this mare to take her words somewhere else. However, he stood in his place waiting until she was done. As she finished his lips pursed over his fangs to hide his annoyance at being beckoned forth for this. “Well, let’s hope it never comes to that.” Is all the leopard offers in return.  

He sat and waited, tail twitching behind him. If he were to be honest he didn’t want to do this. There was nothing worse than trying to keep an eye on someone that didn’t want you to. Hell, if Vessel wanted she could go ask Greta about this very situation. He had done this dance before and was coming to the conclusion that his whole life was going to be spent doing this exact thing. That was enough to make the large cat groan internally, nails digging into the frozen earth beneath them.

Finally, the red mare speaks again and again her words are even and cold. She mentions Eventide and he can feel his chest tighten. He closes his eyes, letting out a small sigh before opening them again. Of all places it had to be Eventide. He had to follow this mare who obviously didn’t want him anywhere around her to the one place in all of Eternal that he despised. Of course. He wanted to say no, that he couldn’t go and that she was on her own, but he couldn’t. Instead he sat there in silence while he listened to her go on about Grimdark. As she mentioned maiming the kraken Kjartan’s silence broke, a short laugh escaping his deep vocals.

“Oh no, like you said, the kraken would pull me to sea if I acted, what was the word? Oh yeah, carelessly? I’m not a fan of the water, no thank you.” He shook his head, still debating on rather he’d tell her to enjoy her adventure without him. She didn’t give him much time though and took off. He stood there for a moment longer, weighing his options in his head. The last time he had been to Eventide had been the last time he had laid eyes on Fleur. The meeting still hung heavy in his mind, causing the leopard to hesitate before joining Vessel.

With a loud groan the leopard leapt from his place in the jungle, following after Vessel. “I swear to the gods if I run into her there I’m going to fucking lose it.” He grumbled through a clenched jaw, pale blue eyes narrowing.

kjartan

@ Vessel